This is drastically overdue, but I’ve been swamped prepping for a LinkedIn event at work. I’ve wanted to start a blog forever, so I figured this is where I might as well start…
I’ve never officially made New Year’s resolutions– I don’t know why, but the word resolution made it feel too official and set in stone, and the thought of committing to something I can’t accomplish literally freaks me out. That being said, I stumbled across The Dainty Squid‘s yearly “GOALS,” and for some reason that made me change my perspective on the idea completely. Her list seemed so fun and attainable, and so I decided to try and think up some of my own. While doing so, I also saw this quote below, and I feel like this encompasses my theme for 2014:
I just wanna go on more adventures. Be around good energy. Connect with people. Learn new things. Grow.
START A BLOG (& KEEP UP WITH IT) –
I’ve been meaning to start one for years as an outlet to dump thoughts, wants and other random bits and bobs I’ve found– regardless of readership. Here’s to getting 1/2 of that goal accomplished!
TAKE MORE ROADTRIPS – Andrew and I take spontaneous day & weekend trips aaaallll the time, but it would be interesting to plan something a bit further this year–and maybe if he gets his wish and we get an RV it will be more likely to happen.
– I have an exorbitant amount of shoes, jewelry and clothing. I think being a pack rat is a genetically pre-disposioned trait, because I still can’t shake it!
VISIT 3 NEW CITIES –
I’m thinking New Orleans, somewhere in Canada, and Florida (finally have all my nerd dreams realized and see Harry Potter world).
READ 15 BOOKS
– This is a little over 1 book a month. If you know me, I’m a speed reader, and I love to read.
LEARN TO KNIT
– I’ve tried and failed. Ok, lets be honest…I gave it about 10 minutes. Mostly, I learn best when someone is forcing my hands through the motions, but I want to do this — and make a scarf!
TAKE A CLASS(ES)–
I keep talking about this. I’m thinking life drawing will definitely happen, but I want to take more art classes to get me outside of my artistic comfort zone. Sculpture maybe?
CONTINUE TO WORKOUT
– Be able to run for a solid 20 minutes (at a good pace), up my arm free-weights 10lbs, and gain more muscle. I want to work my way up to running a marathon, but I don’t think that will happen in 2014. I found out early in the year that I really depend on exercise for endorphins. I’ve struggled after wrestling with eating disorders and obsessive working out, but learning the foundations of weight lifting and clean eating has really transformed my energy levels.
A LA CARTE
– Actually save money, pay off my debt, keep a sketchbook, do more freelance, take more risks, and start painting more.
So goodbye 2013! It was a darn good year.
I started realizing my travel dreams – I went on my first international trip to Peru, took a road trip with Dogcatcher up the coast (Eureka, Ashland, Salem, Portland) to Oregon, went to Vegas to work Talent Connect, visited my best friend Nicole in New York, and I just got back from Ajijic, Guadalajara Mexico.
Then there was some other notable stuff (good & bad) – I started my new job at LinkedIn, worked my first event, mourned the death of my fiat (and consequently got my first broken bone), went blonde (ugh), adjusted to the size of my golf, said goodbye to my childhood home in San Mateo, moved to San Jose with Andrew, got an awesome dog, saw snow for the first time, started working out with Zac, got a nose piercing, Bill’s Cafe Saturday morning ritual was born, and made new friends.
…needless to say I am excited to see what new adventures 2014 will bring.